Whiskey: North Star Spirits Caol Ila 7 year old 2021 (Series 15)
North Star Spirits are a Glasgow based independent bottler setup by Ian Croucher in 2016. This bottling is a 7 year old that was matured in a refill sherry butt. Worth noting this is one of several bottles they are currently selling on their site that they will donate profits from to various charities. If that’s sounds good to you click the link below. You can always comeback and read the review later.
Dried fruits smoked over a bonfire, a musty warehouse, smoked bacon on the bbq, dusty leather, with some spiritey notes appearing as well.
Malt vinegar, tomato ketchup, burnt rubber, white pepper and fish sauce. If you love a more spirit driven dram you’ll enjoy this. For everyone else this is maybe slightly too young without enough cask influence.
Nose (with water)
Water brings forward the rich sherry notes, there’s also some dried mushrooms, grilled sausages, and forest dirt.
Palate (with water)
Sweeter than before, some butteriness, still lots of smoke, some blackberries and rosemary woodiness.
At £44 it’s a great price for a cask strength Caol Ila. You’d be hard pushed to get a better single cask Islay at this price. Saying that, a bit more money would probably get you something a little more special with a bit more age and depth of flavour.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.