Whisky: Lagavulin Offerman Edition 11yo 2019 Release
Not a distillery I’d normally gravitate towards as I don’t like the idea of my whisky having caramel colouring added or being chill filtered, but I’ve heard good things about the this release and my curiosity won out.
Initial hit of peat, bonfire smoke on a beach, toasted marshmallows, not very dirty, hint of oiliness/butteriness, toasted cereal and medium toasted tin bread.
Smooth mouthfeel with bundles of peat smoke, earth and dirt. Some fennel/aniseed notes with a cereal sweetness. Light varnish notes too. Finish lasts forever, even after trying to cleanse the palate it’s still there.
Nose (with water)
Initial peat is muted, more earthy and herbal notes coming through instead. More dirty and hints of nail polish remover.
Palate (with water)
It shows more sugary sweetness, carrying through to the aforementioned long finish.
Enjoyable dram that I wish I could try at cask strength. For the original prices it’s great value, but for the auction prices it’s a pass.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Have you tried Lagavulin Offerman Edition 11yo 2019 Release? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.