Whisky: Daftmill 2009 Summer Release (UK)
The temptation here is to tell you that Daftmill is awful, to suggest you look elsewhere for your whisky fix, and to continue to nab a bottle whenever we can. Instead We’ll tell you that Daftmill is a farm distillery owned and run by the Cuthbert family. Unfortunately for whisky lovers everywhere Daftmill produces far less juice than we’d all like. Anyway, this release is a mixture of a first fill ex oloroso butt and four ex bourbon barrels.
Some light vanilla, a floral note that takes you to the countryside, apple, some earthy notes, smells a little fizzy/spritzy on the nose, some sweet oak. We can’t help but be reminded of a Danish pastry while nosing this.
Initial hit of sweet malty bread, icing sugar, light citrus, appletiser (fizz on the tongue), honey and hidden notes of sultana and cocoa. Impressive for 46%, still holds up to drams around the 50-52% mark. Finish is medium length with a moderate spice that lingers.
Nose (with water)
The single sherry cask takes centre stage, typical notes of raisins and dark chocolate accompanied by marzipan. The orchard fruits are still present just slightly more muted. There’s sweetness there, but it’s an artificial sweetness like you’d get in a pick and mix bag.
Palate (with water)
Sour apple candy alongside Haribo rhubarb and custard sweeties. You can start to taste the fact that it’s 46%. Be careful when adding water!
We’d say to avoid water the light and delicate bourbon notes can get lost very easily. If you like this lighter style of whisky then you’ll love this. Whilst good, we’ve had better Daftmills, and given its price we have to give this a 7/10.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Have you tried Daftmill 2009 Summer Release (UK)? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.