Whisky: Cask Whisperer Octomore 2011 Cask #4555
Price: ~£220, we picked it up for £150 on auction.
This is an 8 year old first fill bourbon cask that is confirmed to be one of Jim’s private casks.
Instant hit of vegetal peat, saltiness, rubber, light petrol, seared steak, dirty oil, roasted chestnuts, stale brown bread.
Tar, sawdust, unripe strawberry, pink peppercorns, cake - Victoria sponge, flamed orange peel, mellow peat smoke impressively integrated with the other flavours.
Nose (with water)
Sweetness punches through the smoke, marzipan, pickle juice, toasted marshmallows.
Palate (with water)
Palate brings brown sugar French toast, burnt pine nuts. A nice long warming finish.
This was a lot less peated than expected from octomore, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Possibly our favourite octomore that we’ve tried, the balance is incredible. A bit steep at the RRP of £250+ but may be possible to pick up a bargain on auction.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Have you tried Cask Whisperer Octomore 2011 Cask #4555? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.