Whisky: Springbank 15yo Rum Wood (2019)
Back to Campbeltown for our next dram as we try the Springbank 15 year old rum wood. This particular bottling was part of a release of 9,000 bottles, released in 2019.
On the nose there’s costal sea air, raisins, dunnage warehouse mustiness, pipe tobacco smoke, strawberry, orange peel and a floral note.
On the palate pear, melon, grape, pepper, ethanol, light smoke, banana, and salt. This has a spicy ginger kick on the finish. A slightly disappointing mouthfeel however.
Nose (with water)
This is now creamier on the nose. We’re also getting some apple, salt and burnt toffee. It’s also definitely more musty now than pre-dilution.
Palate (with water)
Water mellows out the spice. We’re also noticing some creme brûlée, sweet blood orange and strawberry jam. There’s definitely less ethanol now, and the sweetness is also more prominent. This has a long finish with fruity notes lingering on the palate.
Full disclosure, we’re not the biggest fan of rum cask whiskies and as such for us personally this is a 7.5/10. This is however one of the best rum cask whiskies we’ve tried, and if you’re a fan of rum casks this is closer to a 8.5/10. We'll settle on an 8 for fairness.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.