Whisky: Scotch Malt Whisky Society 89.15 - Tomintoul 10 year old single cask
Bottled by the society for the spirit of Speyside. This was finished in a second fill oloroso sherry hogshead that previously held Laphroaig.
Dried fruits, sherry, dark chocolate, light smoke, hint of sulphur in the background, molasses, and cherry.
Lots of fresh berries, venison with a blackberry jus, Chinese style char Sui roast pork (bbq sauce), a looooong finish, warming winter mulled wine spices.
Nose (with water)
charred pork shines through, bitter chocolate, lightly roasted coffee beans.
Palate (with water)
Palate brings sherry vinegar, herbal-minty toothpaste, rum and raisin ice cream.
Incredible depth of flavour for a 10yo whisky, the cask has done wonders for the spirit. Avoid adding water if you like the initial sweetness. Super value for the ~£62 it cost.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Have you tried SMWS 89.15? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.