Whisky: Rebel Bourbon Tawny Port Finish
Ok, so next up we’re tasting Rebel Bourbon Tawny Port Finish. This is a new special edition release from Lux Row Distillers. For this release the 4yo Whiskey was finished for six months in tawny port barrels. This is a release of 6,000 bottles. Full disclosure the sample for this review was provided by Lux Row Distillers and The Whisky Wire. This of course will have no impact on our review.
On the nose we’re getting, runny honey, macadamia nuts, cardamon, and vanilla pods. Actually, this can be perfectly summed up by saying it’s Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes on the nose.
On the palate there’s an instant hit of affogato al caffe. Followed by honey, raisins, cloves, and Christmas pudding minus the icing. This is a touch spicy, reminiscent of a rye, and packs a punch that make us think its ABV is higher.
Nose (with water)
Largely unchanged, but we are now finding more caramel, and figs on the nose. With the honey note moving into the background.
Palate (with water)
With water this gains a little more spice. There’s also chocolate covered raisins, and the caramel on the nose transfers to the palate. Finish is medium length.
This is our first time trying any of Rebel Bourbon releases, and given this is only £39 we weren’t expecting something this good, but this exceeded our expectations. This is great by itself, but would also be brilliant in an old fashioned. If you’re tempted by this it’s available now.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.