Whisky: Cadenheads Glen Scotia 19yo Warehouse Tasting bottle
It’s taken a while, but we’ve finally gotten to a Cadenhead bottling. If you are unaware, Cadenheads is Scotland’s oldest independent bottler. Currently they are owned by J. & A. Mitchell and Co. who you might recognise as the owners of Springbank distillery. This particular bottling is a 19 year old sherry butt from the redheaded step child of Campbeltown distilleries, Glen Scotia.
Hit of salty sulphur, wet dog smell, Campbeltown funk, moist leather, rainy day at the beach, chocolate chip croissant.
A salad of rain soaked leaves, branches, and sea salted caramel. This has a shorter than anticipated finish. For having spent so long in the cask, the sherry is well integrated with the spirit.
Nose (with water)
Dunnage warehouse funk, cardamom and cloves, some sweet barley.
Palate (with water)
Like licking an oak stave, dried shiitake mushrooms, thinner mouthfeel with more spice. We wouldn’t say that it particularly benefits from water.
We both reacted with “Oh” when we first nosed the dram, and that reaction was consistent throughout the tasting of the whisky. A very funky whisky that’s not for everyone, but some will absolutely love it. This will be a 7/10 for most, but if you love The Scotia you’ll love this and at £80 it’s a steal.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Have you tried Cadenheads Glen Scotia 19yo Warehouse Tasting bottle? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.