Whisky: Adelphi Teaninich 12yo cask #301264
For our first Teaninich review, we’ve chosen a first fill sherry cask from Adelphi. For those that don’t know Teaninich is one of Diageo's workhorses, producing malt whisky for its blends such as Johnnie Walker.
We’ll be honest, we normally gravitate towards a more balanced dram, but if you’re going to go for a sherry bomb Adelphi is a safe bet.
Geeky side note Teaninich is one of only two Scottish distilleries to use a mash filter, the other being Inchdairnie.
Treacle syrup, sticky toffee pudding, punchy ethanol, currant jam, mocha coffee, lime zest, and wood shavings.
Instant hit of sherry, syrup-y mouthfeel, hint of fresh rosemary, cocoa nibs, finish lingers forever. If we had to guess we’d say this was a PX cask. Some ginger snaps, unsurprisingly the notes are predominantly sherry. This is nice, but not overly complex.
Nose (with water)
Smacked in the face with dark roast coffee beans, intense smokey-ness, not peat but wood-fired. Bovril chocolate.
Palate (with water)
Palate gives cherry flavoured liqueur filled chocolates, Finish is actually quite short compared to the initial hit of flavour that you get, although still very pleasant.
Winter dram, works well in cold weather. May be too rich and syrupy for more than 1 dram in a row, but works well as an example of a deeply sherried whisky.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Have you tried Adelphi Teaninich 12yo cask #301264? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.