Whiskey: Adelphi Caol Ila 2013 8 Year Old Cask #300371
For our next review we’re back with another Adelphi bottling. Adelphi, who also own Ardnamurchan distillery, is one of the most highly regarded of independent bottlers operating today. This release was matured in refill bourbon barrel.
Vanilla ice cream topped with salt crystals on an Islay beach. Chinese bbq ribs, cocoa nibs, and banana. Surprisingly, the alcohol is muted unless you get your nose right into the glass, then you get the full punch of the spirit.
Marzipan, charcoal, like the embers of a bonfire on the beach. Vegan vanilla ice cream - lacking the creamy mouth coating feel. Some bitter oak in the background.
Nose (with water)
Brioche, banana essence, cinnamon and toasted oak. There’s still smoke, but it’s mellowed out compared to before the water was added.
Palate (with water)
Lingering spice, but not overly aggressive - quite subdued. The peat is amplified, but dissipates quite quickly after the initial hit. Still some alcohol on the finish, a little bitter oak too.
This is probably as good as an 8 year old bourbon matured Caol Ila can get. However, it’s still just an 8 year old Caol Ila. It’s also a touch expensive but the truth is Adelphi’s reputation allows them to do this.
- 10 - Perfection. A whisky that we’ll remember forever.
- 9 - Amazing. We’d pay through the nose for a bottle.
- 8 - Great. Pick this up at RRP.
- 7 - Good. Happy to have a dram or two but wouldn’t buy a bottle.
- 6 - Passable. Would accept a dram, but wouldn’t seek it out.
- 5 - Poor. Would drink if it was the only option.
- 4 - Bad. Maybe it can be saved by ginger beer?
- 3 - Awful. It can't be saved by ginger beer.
- 2 - Pour it out
- 1 - We’ve never tried a whisky rated this low and hopefully never will.
Interested in trying drams like these? We've created the Two Whisky Bros Dram Club to help you get access to high quality, rare whisky by the dram.